OTRS IT Service Management Software Features
OTRS::ITSM is a scalable, high-performance, enterprise-grade IT Service Management (ITSM) software that couples the best practices of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL v3) with the proven power of OTRS. The OTRS IT Service Management software is a powerful set of tools for managing complex IT administration processes, reducing business risk and ensuring high service quality.
IT incidents can disrupt an entire organization, leading to significant time and reputational losses. OTRS::ITSM provides ITIL-compatible incident management to minimize business impact through efficient incident recording and processing, an integrated CMDB for incident analysis, and intelligent automation for rapid recovery.
- Flexible mapping of Incident-Management workflows, service processes and structures
- ITIL compliant roles and group-based structure of specific groups for example 1st -, 2nd – or 3rd Level Support
- Management of ITIL V3 compliant categorization and prioritization
- Automatic incident logging as a ticket from inbound emails and by leveraging the customer self service portal
- Cross-process access to each configuration items (CI) current configuration with the Configuration Management Data Base (CMDB)
- Link incidents with CIs, services, FAQ articles or other incident and problem tickets
- Split incidents for parallel task management
The OTRS IT Service Management software is a sophisticated tool for enterprise-grade IT problem management. It’s tightly integrated with the CMDB/CMS, providing cross-process and up-to-date information on interdependencies between IT services, IT infrastructure, configuration items and customers. This simplifies problem identification and analysis, enables rapid recovery and facilitates knowledge sharing to prevent problem recurrence.
- Quick and intuitive logging and prioritization of problem records
- Process-spanning access to existing resolution know-how, known-errors and workarounds (Knowledge Database)
- Automatic, event-based notifications of involved individuals and groups
- Tracking of problem records using the individual watch list
- Meaningful problem management reporting on current problem records and overall problem management performance
OTRS::ITSM supports ITIL-compatible request fulfilment processes, allowing service agents to quickly answer service requests. They can retrieve information on service availability and execute pre-approved and low-risk standard changes. The OTRS IT Service Management software integrates request fulfillment capabilities with the self service portal, service level management and change management. It also provides a real-time perspective on the configuration status of an IT infrastructure.
- Automatic and manual routing service requests through the service organization, e.g. to get the incident, change management or external service providers involved
- Response templates for efficient management of recurring requests
- Creation of incident tickets or change requests linked to the initial service request
- Automatic follow-up mechanism for existing service requests
- WYSIWYG editor
Making IT infrastructure changes to accommodate business needs happens frequently. A resilient, standardized change management system is key to ensuring critical business processes survive IT changes. The OTRS IT Service Management software offers a full-fledged, ITIL-compatible system for enterprise-wide change management and execution.
- Provisioning of change templates and guidelines for processing
- Management of status, conditions and logical relations between changes, work orders, tickets, services, configuration items and knowledge base articles
- Tracking and monitoring of current and historic changes and work orders
- Mapping Change Advisory Boards (CAB)
- Graphical overview of changes and related work orders
- Supporting parallel work order processing
Service Asset & Configuration Management
Reduce the risks of configuration changes with the OTRS IT Service Management software. Get ITIL-compatible Configuration Management Database (CMDB) and Configuration Management System (CMS) to allow IT admins to define, modify and manage hardware, software and other essential IT components.
- Creation of variable CI classes, e.g. Computer, Hardware, Software, Networks etc.
- Creation of dependencies between CIs and other CI’s, Services, SLAs, Users usw.
- Mapping hierarchical CI structures
- Comprehensive CI lifecycle management
- Real-time CI monitoring to evaluate the status of changes and request for changes
Technological advances in the IT industry can rapidly render knowledge obsolete. Leverage OTRS::ITSM Knowledge Management tools to record, search and maintain employee knowledge, reduce agent response times and improve service quality.
- Integrated knowledge base with mapping of hierarchical structured resolutions
- Editing existing records for optimizations
- Rating of articles to improve quality
- Indexed fulltext search and transparent Knowledge Base Explorer
- Direct access to the knoweldge base out of the dashboard, menues or ticket overviews
- Leveraging existing resolutions while ticket recording
- Knowledge base integration to the self service customer portal
Installation of OTRS::ITSM always requires a preliminary OTRS Help Desk installation as all the powerful features you know from the OTRS Help Desk software will be available with and enhanced by OTRS::ITSM. As a web-based solution, the OTRS Help Desk software including the OTRS IT Service Management software can be flexibly installed on various platforms. The most common installations run on Linux and UNIX derivates, but you can also run your IT Service Management solution on a Microsoft Windows platform. The webserver and Perl have to be installed on the same machine as your OTRS. The database back-end can be installed locally or on another host.
Client: Webbrowser IE8 or higher, Firefox 3.6 or higher, Google Chrome, Opera 10 or higher, Safari 4 or higher
- We recommend using a machine with at least a 2 GHz Xeon or comparable CPU, 2 GB RAM and a 160 GB hard drive.
- A specific system sizing is part of our consulting support services
Server Operating System:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES)
- UNIX derivates like OpenBSD or FreeBSD
- Microsoft Windows
- Mac OSX
- MySQL 4.1 or higher (recommended)
- Oracle 10g or higher
- MS SQL Server 2005 or higher
- PostgreSQL 8.0 or higher
- DB2 8 or higher
- Apache2 + mod_perl2 or higher (recommended)
- Webserver with CGI support (CGI is not recommended)
- Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) 6 or higher
- Perl 5.8.8 or higher
- You need some additional modules which can be installed either with the Perl shell and CPAN or via the package manager of your operating system (rpm, yast, apt-get).
Directory Service: Active Directory, eDirectory, OpenLDAP, Oracle Internet Directory, DirX Directory Server, Sun ONE Directory Server etc.
Mail Server: Microsoft Exchange, Qmail, Lotus Notes, Postfix, Sendmail, Exim